Pages


Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween- Tis the Time for Wigs

When my daughter decided on Strawberry Shortcake as her costume this year I never anticipated people asking me, "Which version?". Strawberry Shortcake was one of my favorites growing up and I guess it had slipped my mind that she had "evolved" over the last 20 years. I didn't know which version she should be. And since I was making her costume I thought I would mash up all the ideas and images of this character that were important to a little girl. One of the most important features I had to consider was her red hair.
I didn't want to buy a wig, so when my neighbor suggested I try working with red yarn, all sorts of light bulbs went off in my head. I went with the longer hair modern version of Strawberry Shortcake, mainly because I knew my daughter would love the idea of flipping her faux hair.
Two hours, $1.00 of red yarn and a stretch headband later I came up with this... and my daughter loves it! I kinda thought it looked weird but it does the trick. And with the pink hat (also made myself with fleece fabric- very easy) I think it could work.  She tried it on and kept it on the rest of the night.
 Thanks to KiwiJane for the awesome suggestion!

Do It Yourself

Need : One Stretch Headband and Yarn (Have Fun Make it in Different Colors)

I cut 10 pieces of yarn at 10 inches - for the bangs I cut once I saw how short I would need them on my daughter
Layer the pieces to make it fuller
I placed the first layer of five pieces on a small section -about 2" across- and then second on top
Run through sewing machine (I used zigzag stitch)
Repeat these steps until you have sewn yarn all around the headband
Cut as desired

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment